Skip to main content

An afternoon walk in Chandni Chowk

Subscribe
An alley opposite the Subodh Mullick Square
Is there really a graveyard of memories beyond our hearts? Or is it just the way our memory functions, turning the outsides into a vast scene of mourning?
A graveyard is not only the place for the dead but also for those who are related to the dead- the living, who mourns and remembers a time which would not be coming back. A place of remembrance and forgetting… May be in that sense, archives and museums are more akin to graveyards. 
On a rainy afternoon, my visit to Chandni Chowk, evoked the sense of visiting a graveyard to me, a graveyard of technology that is. In retrospect, it seems may be such comparisons are not fair. For it is a place that holds an array of repair shops for both presently existing technology, very much in vogue; and slightly older technologies (and also sometimes, ‘disappearing’ technology)- a place for the ‘lost and found’. Also, I have seen, people obviously have different degrees of extremely specific nostalgia regarding different technologies and technological equipment. Yet, I could not help myself comparing these repairmen to doctors who transplant body parts from the dead to the living, in order to keep them away from the land of dead. 
On a regular day when the pavements are not wet, and the sky is not overladen within dark clouds, these alleys bustle with activity. The crowd is formed by people with broken technological parts and pieces, hoping to revive them, the repairmen dismantling both new and old technologies and not to mention shops selling equipment pertaining to both- present technology, and obsolete ones. The day of my visit to these streets, the afternoon rain had already thinned the crowd, although it was still quite lively. I too was there to procure a piece of electronic equipment and had to visit an alley opposite the Subodh Mullick Square, by the entrance to a bank. 
Hind Inox near Chandni Chowk
Rainy afternoon, tram near Chandni Chowk
As the evening grew, on my way back, across the Hind Inox multiplex and the tramline, I noticed previously empty teashops now gathering a few customers. They sure know at what time the day starts here!

Tea Shops in Chandni Chowk



Empty alley way by a small park in Chandni Chowk
I visited the same empty alley ways, and crossed the heap of broken refrigerators and heavy machinery to the bazaar where motorcycles lined up after before building both old and new. 
Motorcycles lined up before buildings

Heap of heavy machinery
Broken Refrigerators

The rain made it harder for me to take pictures and as I looked at the small roadside temple (the likes of which can be found in many places across India) near an old, rundown building, while simultaneously, the long drawn out, mystical sound of Azaan from a mosque nearby filled the evening air. 
The sound of ancestors praying, the tinkling chimes of new metal mixed with the scrapes of rusty old bits- an orchestra of life and death in this bustling street! The bright blue plastic sheets put up on pavement-shops starkly contrast with everything else on the streets- droopy eyed vendors, workers dilly-dallying with dying metal, muddy leaves of lonely trees that seem to have grown since ever on cement. 
 As I walked out of the alley, I noticed one of those glass covered electronics shop, which among many other things sell televisions. There was a cricket match and the India team was playing and the crowd gathered round the shop to watch the match, even though it was raining. 
A crowd of people standing on the pavement watching cricket match in rain

How the living celebrate their lives even on a heap of disintegrating scrap. And they say, old technology gives way to the new. They celebrate their deaths, just like soldiers of science. Maybe, their death is real, but not real enough for the living.


When you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something.      
-  Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
Subscribe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Visit to The Pen Hospital in Esplanade (Dharmatala)

Subscribe …I answered "The smell of old people's houses". The question was "What do you really like the most in life?" – Jep Gamberdella in The Great Beauty (2013) A few days back I had a chance to visit the Dharmatala area with a friend of mine, who was soon leaving for US. We strolled around the footpath amidst the bustling crowd of buyers, sellers and bystanders, and looked round. As we came near the Metro Gate no. 4, behind the stalls selling modern day clothing, we were able to find a shop not so modern- The Pen Hospital. On the wall by the shop Mr. Riyaz in his shop The shopkeeper of The Pen Hospital Pens on display The dusty rack Some of the pens I bought. I had to return the green coloured Parker England though since that one had a crack near the nib. Later I bought a Cross instead. For those who are fountain pen aficionado the existence of this shop is not a breaking news, for this shop with its dusty old di

Excavation of a Forgotten Painter: The Moments of his Art

Subscribe In the earlier post I had tried to dig up the silken glow of Maniklal Banerjee, an eminent painter aligned to the Bengal School of Art, not so well remembered, who also happens to be my great grandfather. Like the familiar yet elusive beauty of his native village Sonaranga, he has remained less than fully tangible. He has remained somewhere amidst the luminous haze of family reminisces and the "ghost paintings"-as I call them- mere photographs retained of his best work on silk. I have received them archived on a CD disk, that came to me as a family heirloom.  Sonaranga of his younger days, drawn from memory and impressions. I have decided to call him, at times, by the name of Manik Babu, even though the man is both, a great painter and my great-grandfather instead of the more endearing “Boro-Dadu”. I have accused him at times in my mind, for remaining like a myth in our household. It was as if everybody knew half-truths about him, yet he did leave

Listening to Erosion at Gangani

Subscribe It is difficult to dig up faded stories of the earth or make up a story that both looks faded and smells earthy. My friends have shown great ingenuity in overcoming this impasse. Myself having none, must rely on the recollection of past before it completely fades away. My memory of Gangani goes as far back as my memory of picnics and hazy wintry mornings. A stretch of laterite with patches of cashew trees dips into a gorge with numerous caves and crevices before sloping into the river shilavati. We would cross the river barefoot and my Chhotka would spread his gamcha to catch a fish or two. There was no stair made yet to assist my trembling legs in descend on the yielding soil that glistened like gold in the sun. It was long before we read about soil erosion. For me every crevice was a haunt of stories etched on the soft yellow walls, a maze of figures, human, animal, demonic. Once down I had to stretch my entire neck to look up the ridge at the red rocks sittin